This past week, I was “gifted” a plant arrangement in desperate need of some TLC by some coworkers who found this in the office of someone who recently took a new job.
As you can see, it was in rough shape. There were actually three different plant varieties in the basket, but my coworkers took one of the varieties out.
I did some research and figured out that the vining plant with pretty yellow blooms is actually a succulent! It’s a calandiva. It clearly was reaching for sunlight for a very long time.
The most difficult part of this plant rescue was not figuring out what to do with the Calandiva – It was a succulent and I knew if I just snipped them and made cuttings, it would survive and be much healthier. The difficult part came when trying to free the other plant from the mess of roots in the pot!
I split the plants between three new homes. Most of the calandiva is in a plastic pot with the right kind of soil and lots of rocks for draining. One cutting is now in a vintage animal cracker tin, with two other succulents and lots of rocks. The other plant (I didn’t really investigate what it is), is now in another plastic pot and enjoying having its own space for roots to grow.
Next week, I’ll be answering some of the questions I am often asked about caring for succulents. If you have a question for me, post a comment below!
Oh, and in case you missed it… head over to our Facebook page! I now have some succulent arrangements/terrariums available for sale in the Milwaukee area! Sorry to those who aren’t in SE Wisconsin – I haven’t figured out how to ship these safely! Here’s a sneak peek:
I was excited that one of my favorites, Tiger Lily Garden Market, was there again! They are one of my favorite places to find healthy, well cared for succulents in the Milwaukee area. Of course, I am always “rescuing” succulents from other places. But, Tiger Lilly just has a great selection. I mean, look at these beauties!
I got a bunch of new succulents, because, obviously, I have a problem.
I got a pot of sedum rubrotinctum aka “Aurora,” crassula radicans aka “large red stonecrop,” pachyphytum bracteosum, Aloe variegata aka “Gator” and crassula perforata. Oh and I finally have a living stone!
Isn’t it funny looking? I’ve been wanting one of these for awhile, and I’m glad I finally have one! I’m excited to watch it bloom and then grow new leaves this fall/winter when it goes dormant.
After seeing all my succulent posts on Instagram, my mom asked me if I would arrange a succulent planter for her.
I combined sempervivum, aeonium aka “kiwi,” kalanchoe thyrsiflora aka “flap jacks,” senecio talinoids mandralis aka “blue” and echeveria aka “perle von numberg.” I used a large, shallow terra cotta pot and finished it off with river stones.
Because of my succulent addiction, I of course had to make one of my own with my new succulents.
As I was planting my new friends, I found that the aloe plant had started a li’l pup!
At first, I also included some sempervivum, but then today I moved them and added crassula capitella aka “campfire plant” and kalanchoe luciae aka “flapjacks.”
I planted the large red stonecrop in an antique teapot.
Yes, I have a problem. You see, today, I put together this pot with three varieties of sempervivum aka “hen and chicks.”
Before I leave you and put the kabosh on purchasing any new succulents for awhile, I’ll share an update on my propagation efforts. Finally, after 2+ weeks, we have itty bitty pink roots beginning to emerge!
So far, the Graptosedum (Vera Higgins) succulents are doing great!
These are the baby succulents I inherited when I purchased a larger graptosedum earlier this month.
Unfortunately, the bulk of my leaves I started propagating haven’t sprouted roots or babies yet.
That is… except for the gratosedum!
This past week I rescued a pot of succulents from a local greenhouse.
When I came across this pot of mixed succulents, I knew it needed rescuing. In fact, when I took it to the checkout, I told the cashier to be careful with them. I told her, “They’re struggling. But don’t worry, I’m going to bring them back to life.”
I’ll show you some more results of my rescued succulents project next week!