Yesterday, I went apple picking at a local orchard with some friends. I came home with far too many apples for a single person to eat and decided I needed to get creative in the kitchen.
I love making fresh, warm applesauce this time of year. But, today, I wanted to try making some baked oatmeal. I found a recipe online and made some modifications to it.
This oatmeal would be great with other modifications – using berries, almonds or another kind of fruit. It is also amazing served with yogurt or a little milk or cream.
I’m definitely going to be making applesauce soon – and perhaps I will finally figure out how to preserve food by canning!
- 1 3/4 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 apple, sliced thin and small
- 2 tsp GF flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 8x8 casserole with nonstick spray.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into pan and bake for 35-40 min.
- Serve with yogurt or milk.
- Double the recipe for 9x13 pan.