I love making cupcakes. I also love eating them. Unfortunately, I don’t make cupcakes very often anymore because of being gluten-free. And, let’s just say I haven’t been very successful with gluten-free baking. However you can never pass on a great cupcake!
Every baker needs a good chocolate cupcake recipe. My favorite is from the recipe book “Crazy about Cupcakes” by Krystina Castella. I have adapted the recipe a little, but the core of the recipe stems from this book.
If you are looking for a cupcake cookbook with great recipes from scratch–I highly recommend this one (and let’s just say I have a few cupcake cookbooks.)
Stay tuned. More cupcake recipes to come…one coming very soon will even have cookie dough in it!
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate,
- coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound plus 4 tablespoons
- (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter*
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt*
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and boiling water. Whisk until all lumps are dissolved. Add the bittersweet chocolate into the bowl with the hot cocoa paste. Stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and beat one minute after each addition. Then, add in the vanilla.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add a third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix at low speed until well integrated. Add half the yogurt, and mix well. Add another third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well. Add the other half the yogurt, and mix well. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate. Mix until blended, but do not over mix.
- *At room temperature. For any baking recipe, it is helpful to use these ingredients at room temperature for best results.