I don’t know about you, but I love oatmeal! I rarely have time during the work week to make it, so I try to make it on the weekends. I started making this because Emily often makes this Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal for breakfast when we visit.
Making oatmeal from scratch is easy! I have both the quick oats and regular ones, but this weekend I decided to make the quick oats kind. You can buy them in bulk from most grocery stores!
You’ll need quick oats, milk, agave nectar or honey, an apple, cinnamon and some shaved almonds.
Combine everything but the almonds in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the oatmeal thickens (just a couple minutes), serve with shaved almonds as a crunchy garnish.
I love making different varieties of oatmeal. I’m really looking forward to the farmers markets this summer for some fresh berries! I packed up the leftovers (this is enough for two people) and reheated it for breakfast the next day.
If you’re looking to increase your fiber intake, you could add some flax seed to the oatmeal as it cooks.
- 1 cup Quick Oats
- 2 cups Coconut Almond Milk (or your choice of milk)
- 1-2 Tbsp Agave Nectar (to taste)
- 1/2 Apple, cut thin and small
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Shaved Almonds, for garnish
- Pour milk and oats into saucepan.
- Add apple pieces, agave nectar and cinnamon.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until oatmeal thickens.
- Serve with shaved almonds.
- Optional: Try variations of fruits!